Cloncourse Castle is situated one mile from Ballaghmore Castle. Built by the O’Duigens in 1636, it is not a true castle but a fortified mansion and bawn. The castle was fired upon by Cromwell’s forces from about a mile away at Old Camp. The wall of the bawn was damaged along with the house itself.
Large cracks are to be seen in the house from the ground to the top as a result of the cannon fire. One of the cannon balls from the attack is still owned by one of the locals. The castle also played a role in a small incident during the 1798 Rebellion when the yeomen stationed there were attacked by the rebels. The house was finally made inhabitable in 1898 when the east wall finally collapsed. The castle is now covered in ivy and in serious disrepair.