History

Roscrea Whiskey

Birches Distillery at Birchgrove, Roscrea began operations in about 1780. In a very short time a considerable reputation had been built. In 1815 Atkinson’s Tourist Guide said: “The principal commercial feature of Roscrea, a town of considerable extent and of some trade is that of whiskey manufacturing which supplies the dealers in Irish Spirit with …

Roscrea Whiskey Read More »

The Book Of Dimma

The Book of Dimma is an 8th-century Irish pocket Gospel Book originally from the Abbey of Roscrea, founded by St. Cronan in County Tipperary, Ireland. In addition to the four Gospels, in between the Gospels of Luke and John, it has an order for the Unction and Communion of the Sick. The surviving illumination of …

The Book Of Dimma Read More »

The Methodist Church

Methodism was first brought to Roscrea by a man called Thomas Walsh between 1750 and 1760. A fluent Irish speaker from Co. Limerick, Walsh is reputed to have worked so hard that he died at the age of 29. The Church however prospered after his death and in 1794 a new chapel was built that …

The Methodist Church Read More »

Gloster House

Gloster House is situated on the Roscrea-Birr road about 8-9 kilometers outside Roscrea. The Medhop family had originally been granted lands at Gloster under Royal patent by King Charles I. Few mentions of this family are made in history compared to their successors, the Lloyds. The Llyods first came to Gloster when Trevor Lloyd, a …

Gloster House Read More »

Ballinakill Castle

The ruins of Ballinakill Castle can now be seen on the main Dublin-Limerick road (N7) about six kilometers on the Nenagh side of Roscrea. It is more of a fortified house than a true castle, similar to Cloncourse Castle. The exact date of the fortification is uncertain but is no earlier than 1580 when Pierce …

Ballinakill Castle Read More »

Cloncourse Castle

Cloncourse Castle is situated one mile from Ballaghmore Castle. Built by the O’Duigens in 1636, it is not a true castle but a fortified mansion and bawn. The castle was fired upon by Cromwell’s forces from about a mile away at Old Camp. The wall of the bawn was damaged along with the house itself. …

Cloncourse Castle Read More »

Ballaghmore Castle

Ballaghmore castle is a landmark on the main Dublin road, just outside of Roscrea. It was originally built by the Fitzpatrick’s, the lords of Upper Ossery in the late 15th century, and was a border castle of the Ely O’Carroll Territory. It was strategically placed on the Slí Dála and guarded the route from Tara …

Ballaghmore Castle Read More »

The Leap Castle

There are varied accounts as to when exactly the main tower/keep was constructed; ranging anywhere from the 13th century to the late 15th century, but most likely around 1250 CE. It was built by the O’Bannon clan and was originally called “Léim Uí Bhanáin” (as was the fertile land around the castle which was associated …

The Leap Castle Read More »

The Roscrea Pillar

The Roscrea pillar or the Timoney Stone as it is sometimes referred to, is now in the restored Black Mills on Church Street. It is thought to have been carved between 720 and 810 but the exact date is unknown. The Roscrea pillar has been exposed to the elements for many years making the carvings …

The Roscrea Pillar Read More »

Franciscan Friary

The earliest references made to the Franciscan order in the town dates to 1470, but there are differences of opinion regarding who founded the Friary, and when exactly it happened. The most probable founder was Maolruany na Feasóige, who died in 1443. Another theory, however, attributes its foundation to Maolruany O’Carroll, whose tomb, dated 1523, …

Franciscan Friary Read More »